Sunday, December 20, 2009

Happy Holidays!!!

Here's hoping you get everything you want this season! Me, I asked Santa for a hockey team.

I just had a thought, and bear with me on this because this may be the Johnnie talking (that's Johnnie Walker Blue for the uninitiated), but this team started to go downhill ever since Derien Hatcher's knees went out. If you recall, the last time the Flyers went deep in the playoffs, we had both Hatcher and Jason Smith on the blueline. Both of those guys, while giving the Flyers a physical presence in defence, also kept the younger guys in check. They took the role of leadership while allowing guys like Mike Richards and Jeff Carter to come into their own. Now, I have nothing against Richards or Carter. I think they're both great players who will contribute to this team for years to come. But Richards is not exactly captain material. Leading by example is great, if that example means not hanging out all night in Center City, being the first one in and the last one out for practice, and leaving it all on the ice every night. My advice - give the "C" to Chris Pronger and let the young guys just focus on playing the game.

In other O&B news, the end of the year means that the Winter Classic is fast approaching in Boston. I'm psyched for this game, mostly because I can see it on TV, but because it should be a great game. I watched the Bruins play the Leafs last night on HNIC, and even though they lost (to a Toronto team that's starting to grow on me), the Bruins are going to be tough. They're as physical, have stronger goaltending so long as Rask is playing, and have a solid defense. Add in the fact that these two teams simply don't like each other, and this will be a fun one to watch. As for the next outdoor game, my money's on the Capitals and the Rangers in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment